I’ve had a very rare day off today and as it is a grotty day outside, we are having a homely day. Lounging and catching up.
I raided my cupboards and came up with the following recipe.
Butternut Squash, Banana, Pecan and Maple Spiced Muffins
300g plain flour
150g soft brown sugar
240g grated butternut squash
150g softened unsalted butter
2tsp baking powderouernd ginger
1/2tsp (half) bicarbonate of soda
1/2tsp (half) salt
2tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground nutmeg
75ml vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
4-6tbsp maple syrup
medium mixing bowl
large mixing bowl
food mixer or electric whisk
Preheat your oven to 190 degrees (fan)
1. Place your pecans on a baking tray or oven dish and place them in the oven for 5 minutes to toast. Chop, if necessary, once cooled
2. Peel and grate your squash. If it is quite wet, blot some of the moisture off with a towel
3. Peel and mash your banana and add to the squash
4. Sift the flour, spices, salt, bicarb and baking powder together in to a medium bowl
5. In the large mixing bowl, cream the soft butter and sugar together until they are light and creamy.
6. Add the oil, squash and banana and continue to mix. Ensure it is well combined
7. Add the beaten eggs little by little and then add the flour bit by bit until completely mixed and dough like. This isn’t a runny batter.
8. Spoon in to your muffin tins or a loaf tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes. Set the timer for 20 and use a sharp knife to skewer the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is done, if not, give it a little extra.
9. Turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool.
10. Combine the maple syrup and chopped nuts to make them sticky and gently spoon on to the top of each muffin or the loaf.
You can add more or less maple and nuts as you prefer. You can also add more or less spice as you wish too.
Sorry there are no action shots but this is the finished (and delicious) article. I hadn’t planned on blogging this so excuse the photos!
Let me know if you give this a go and be sure to tag me on Instagram or Twitter if you do!